January 31, 2015
merry Christmas // happy new year
We got married.
And it was awesome. We cleaned out an old barn on our property/dairy, Daniel built a bridge and the ceremony arbor and we found out we love doing projects and hosting parties together. It did come with a side of learning how to work with each other, which we’re viewing as a bonus in personal character growth. Plus, many of our friends and family came for the wedding and it was really cool to have both of our crowds together like that.
I (Lauren) got a new job.
Feeling very uninspired and stagnant at San Joaquin Valley College, I left my Social Media Manager position there to become the Marketing Director at Central Valley Christian School (where Daniel attended and graduated). Every day now is a new challenge and I am kept on my toes! Additionally, my photography side business has grown as I meet new families through CVC and it’s one of the most rewarding hobbies I’ve ever had.
Between trips to visit family in New Jersey, Washington and Iowa, a summer family vacation in northern California, meeting up with my Dad in southern California and a work trip to Chicago, we are happy to be giving up long car rides, security lines and airplanes for a bit.
Those are the biggest things. I’ve also included a few fun facts, largely for your entertainment:
– I’m learning how to cook. I’ve cooked some great food and some absolutely terrible. One so terrible the dog wouldn’t even eat it. True story.
– We are regulars at a nice, small Greek restaurant and a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant and we are proud of it. They know our orders.
– Daniel blames me for making him too attached to his dog (Miley). I am pretty sure I love her more than humans should love dogs (and especially farm dogs that live free and happy but dangerous lives [e.g. She rides on the toolbox of his pick-up at all speed under 75]). She did fall off the truck once this year and I was inconsolable. (Daniel hosed her off so he could see her through the blood and she was fine. More fine than me. AH.)
– I wanted to learn to drive a small tractor to help Daniel occasionally but after about three minutes of teaching, he decided the situation was a bit too frustrating/dangerous. Maybe 2015 will be my year.
– We learned not to trade sides of the bed. (Daniel punched me in the shoulder/neck trying to shut off his alarm – but I got even when I sleep-head-butted his forehead for no reason that I can remember).
It has been a GOOD YEAR and we hope the same is true for you. Thank you for your cards and updates. Looking forward to 2015!
daniel & lauren westra